Tuesday, June 9, 2009

blog, actually

so, i'm actually going to blog instead of post pictures or video clips.
Technology is great for relationships? Okay, so we are in touch with millions more people than we were or would've been 10 years ago, but I feel like meaningful "relationships" have been reduced to "commentships". I don't want to feel connected to someone because of their witty ability to respond to a picture. I want to have a conversation about something meaningful or go and be with them. So, I'm glad to be in touch with people, but I guess I want more with some of you. Letters aren't cool anymore, but I'm so awkward on the phone. Some of you guys I should have over for dinner, but some of you are too far away. Is email just not cool enough anymore? can't I write you something more in depth without having to "post it" for the world to see? I know a lot of people are "so anti" email, the new "snail mail". I never thought I'd be the old bitty speak out against technology. Maybe it's because I just created a facebook and I did because I'm sick of the invites and being unable to see your guys' pages because I don't have my own. I feel resentful because I've already gotten 3 million emails from facebook and all I see are other people's commenting and a tiny profile picture of my "friend".
REDEEMING QUALITY OF FACEBOOK? I did have a live chat with Liz that I thoroughly enjoyed. I have no idea how she initiated it but I'm glad she did. It was like a real conversation... live and reacting to eachother.

So, here is my second time to blog with information and feelings (actually I've done it several times late at night and then I always delete by the next morning because I feel incredibly vulnerable to just spit it out there to the universe, and I don't figure my personal release of text is that meaningful to too many people). Plus pictures of my kids are so much cuter. right?

9 comments:

Franki said...

Your kids are definitely cute, and there's absolutely NOTHING like photos....in MY book!
BUT...they don't fill up the holes in a live relationship....they're just fluff on the cake (and I do love fluff! That's why I'm so fluffy myself!) Seriously, I have many of the same feelings and a lot more. I feel grateful in many ways that I can peek into so many lives of people that I love or know or wonder about......but I feel a bit like a voyeur, like there's something not legitimate about "peeking" when I go blog hopping....and yet, I think, THEY have put themselves out there for me to see. And on the other hand, I feel like I am not in control of my own life when I spend the time it takes to maintain all these contacts that I get from Facebook friends. I think sometimes that if I keep going down this road that one day I won't have time to "live" because all my time will be spent on the computer doing one thing or another.....Oh well, who cares what I think, anyway??????

abby said...

i understand what you're saying. at the same time, we both stink at picking up the phone (mostly me) so isn't it great that we live so far away and know what's going on in each others lives? i think so. and also, i get to know a lot of people better through their blogs than i can in real life. some girls are just shy and reserved. silly to say, but blogs really helped me with my church calling. a lot!

Franki said...

Okay, so I'm in a better space about it today...You're right, Abby, I really do love being in touch with you and many others and seeing your families grow.........even though we are rarely REALLY in touch. I guess it's a good, better, best choice about HOW MUCH time you spend...but, then again, isn't everything we do all day?

Stephanie said...

It has really helped me with my church callings too. And just knowing tidbits about my nieces and nephews and distant family. Whereas before we were barely in touch.

Anonymous said...

Who says letters are out of date, ahem!? I still write letters to a few people and I love it. They seem to love it too! Write more letters!
I am not biggest blogging fan, I am slowly learning to love my little blog... so I know what you mean regarding the blogging life.
Besides, if I want some real information on peeps, there is only one place I turn to: Amye Godfrey!

my mudda' calls me jack said...

I'm not asking anyone to abandon blogging, I'm just confessing that I want to have more contact with many of you. Yes, obviously blog is great to stay in touch or aware of eachother. I just want to be better at actual friendship.

Kent and Kate said...

I hear you Jessi! I love blogging and reading blogs, but I do think that people are becoming more and more impersonal and very lazy with relationships.(Myself included)Don't get me started on texting!!!

Tanner Fam said...

Have your people call my people and we will set up a date. LOVE YA!

Dandi said...

I have way too much to say about this to post in a comment. No witty comments here either. I love you!
I would love to "Debate" this with you some day!