Sunday, July 17, 2011

cousin retreat


Our family is so blessed to be able to participate in TGFF. What is that you ask? It stands for The Gibney Family Foundation.
It was started by Todd's Grandpa Gibney. We have the opportunity to make grants and donations to different non-profit organizations that serve the blind community. It is such a wonderful thing to be involved in.
One very exciting thing about this foundation is that it provides the opportunity for all of the Gibney's (Todd's mother's side) to get together once a year to be more educated, have board meetings, and get involved with local organizations. So, it is a super productive, service-packed, life lesson enducing, educational family reunion for what is now the 2nd and 3rd generation of TGFF. Every year Todd and I come home motivated and uplifted by the experiences we get to share with sibblings, cousins, parents, etc. It is humbling to be able to take a small part in something so big and meaningful.
One of the local (Idaho) events we participated in this year was the Barn Sour Run. The Meridian Barn Sour Run is a fundraiser for the Care Enough to Share program which awards scholarships to low-income Meridian residents. Todd ran his first 10k (was the longest distance available) and this is the longest distance he has ever ran... so far. He is training for a half marathon that he will be running in Vermont this September with his cousins.
I ran the 1 mile fun run with Gwen, Lilli, and Heidi. Lilli and Heidi ran the whole way- We were super proud of them! And I ran 1/4 mile with Gwen on my shoulders- which should double the
distance that I can claim to have run, I think!

2 comments:

Dandi said...

I think running with a kid on your shoulder counts for 3x the miles run! You could really run a marathon if you counted it that way...

Stephanie said...

I am super proud of you all! SO COOL!