Sunday, July 17, 2011

Cousin Retreat Continued

I didn’t get a chance to finish my previous post because Blogger was giving me trouble, so I decided to download Microsoft Writer and I’m now giving it a go…..

So, back to the Barn Sour. At the bottom of the last post I had pictures of Gwen in her brand new (new to us from a consignment shop) cheerleading uniform. Todd’s nickname for her is cheerleader since she wasn’t able to run with Dad and the Girls in the Pat Tillman, she became the cheerleader. So, of course, when Grandma Suzi and I found it for $4 a few days before the run we knew we had better pick it up! We weren’t sure if she was going to be able to participate or not, but turns out she got to participate and cheer….

Under the picture of Lilli is a picture of Todd’s sister Joyana and her son Dane and then a picture of her daughter, Amber.IMG_2986

This is Molly, Todd’s cousin’s wife. She is 20 weeks pregnant and is at the finish line for the 5K. She ran the whole way! AMAZING!

IMG_3002

Everybody lined up and gave “five” to everyone as they crossed the finish line. It was so much fun!

And then we had a handstand contest…..

IMG_2709

IMG_2715

 

The main project of the weekend was a room makeover for an organization called S.N.A.P.S.

From their website:

Welcome to SNAPS, Inc.

Special Needs Adoption and Permanency Services, Inc. (SNAPS) provides photolisting and support services to children within the foster care systems in Idaho and Oregon. Every year, over 60 of the children referred to waiting child programs are placed with permanent families: a 75 percent permanency rate. Our vision is to see that outcome reach every youth who wants to be nurtured within a committed family.

As a listing exchange and family advocacy charity, we want to help caring families find ways of serving our children. Please take the time to check out our programs and read about becoming a resource for a child; as an adoptive parent, a guardian, a foster parent, a mentor, a donor, a sponsor. It is concerned citizens who keep these programs functioning for children.

From their website about our weekend with them:

The Gibney Family Foundation (TGFF) Loft Makeover

June 24-25, 2011 - Over 40 members of the Gibney Family Foundation gathered in Boise for a service retreat to benefit SNAPS, Inc. and it's youth programs. Their makeover mission: to create an inviting loft space within the newly relocated SNAPS office. The loft will be used by mentor/mentee pairs in the Youth Empowered to Succeed (YES) Mentor Program, which serves teenaged youth living in foster care.

TGFF adults, youth and children applied vinyl lettering to form inspirational wall decor, created multi-dimensional backing for portraits, painted a magnetic chalkboard for captioned snapshots of mentor activities, installed a study counter for the computer lab, blinds, and shelving in a storage area, and repurposed a credenza as a TV and storage stand. Grant funding from TGFF will fund the beautiful leather furnishings and makeover supplies used to create this colorful loft as well as the study and entertainment elements incorporated in its design.

THANK YOU GIBNEY FAMILY! Our mentor pairs will LOVE the new space! It will provide a vibrant space for friendships to flourish in the coming years.

All of this design planning and furniture gathering had been done before we went up there by Todd’s mom, Suzi, and then we got to go to work and make their vision come to life. It was one of my favorite service projects that we have been able to do because every age group was able to get involved. Lilli went nuts about helping to make the pom-poms with the older girls! She loved it!

This is Lilli with cousins Mallory and NatalieIMG_2740

Todd’s sister Adria, brother Andy (holding Avery) and his wife, Lisa.

IMG_2717

Here we have Uncle Gib putting up blinds with Madi and Celeste (I think) putting up lettering.IMG_2719

Joyana dreamed up this beautiful idea of creating black upholstered “frames” that would have velcro on them, enabling them to change the pictures frequently. I ‘m not describing it very well, but it was genius and looked amazing!

IMG_2722IMG_2733IMG_2724IMG_2729Traci and Adria

Allison and Ashlyn

IMG_2730

Tracy and LisaIMG_2731IMG_2732

IMG_2734IMG_2737IMG_2718IMG_2741IMG_2742IMG_2744

 

IMG_2745IMG_2746

IMG_2747IMG_2743IMG_2749IMG_2750IMG_2751IMG_2752IMG_2754IMG_2756IMG_2757IMG_2758IMG_2759IMG_2761IMG_2762

There is so much more to blog about and so many more fun pictures… and now that I have Microsoft Writer, I think I might actually do it!

2 comments:

Dandi said...

that's so incredible that you guys get to do that. I am so jealous! I need to get my service groove on. good job Young's!!

Courtney said...

What a neat project. I am so happy to see you are back to blogging!